Aon is assisting Boulder County in the evaluation of the medical plan administrator to be offered to its employees. This Request for Proposal (RFP) outlines the requirements that must be met and solicits data that will be used to complete this evaluation. In order for your organization’s proposal to be considered, it is important that you follow the instructions outlined below and respond to this RFP by April 27, 2020.
The information in this request should be considered completely confidential. No portion of this document may be reproduced without prior written consent of Aon. The contents of the material should not be discussed with anyone outside of your organization. Under no circumstances should the client be contacted regarding this proposal and all communication about this solicitation must be in writing. Any breach of this confidentiality clause may result in immediate disqualification of your organization from the selection process.
About Boulder County
Boulder County currently has approximately 2,000 benefit eligible employees (full and part-time salaried) and 400 hourly employees, for a census total of 2,385. The hourly employee count fluctuates throughout the year based upon need. e.g. parks employees in the summer and election workers in the fall. Census and utilization data has been provided as part of this RFP.
The county operates under IRS Section 125 guidelines in the administration of the health benefits package.
The county currently contracts with Cigna to provide their medical, stop loss, and health savings account administration. Pharmacy management is with CVS/Caremark and will remain there through the end of the current contract period (2 more years).
Headquarters for the county are in Boulder, CO 80302. Visit www.bouldercounty.org for general information about the county.
Boulder County currently offers three health plans (Low PPO Plan, High PPO Plan, and an CDH Plan with HSA) to their eligible employees. All health plans are self-insured and are currently administered by Cigna.
Please note the following features of enrollment in the Boulder County plans:
PlanLow PlanHigh PlanCDH Plan
Total Enrollment 1255 122 466
The plan design options available to members are expected to be modified for 2021. The new designs have not been determined yet, but Boulder County is looking toward cost savings. We expect there to still be three (3) plan designs in 2021 and will notify the awarded Offeror with the final plan designs before implementation begins.
Objectives of this Request for Proposal
Vendors should consider the following objectives for the Request for Proposal project:
Intent to Bid
- A focus on cost, credits, and long-term guarantees
- A focus on innovation - networks, care models, reimbursement strategy, virtual care
- Ability to provide a financially competitive proposal with a minimum 3‑year rate/fee guarantee
- ASO fees for national and narrow networks
- Include stop loss quotes
- Include HSA quotes
- Include a wellness fund of $150,000 for biometrics and wellness gift cards
- Offer best-in-class member tools and excellent customer service to members;
- Offer administrative efficiencies for Boulder County human resources, network, care management, and other teams
If you are interested in bidding on this project and would like to receive the supporting plan data (SPDs, claims, enrollment, etc.), please submit and email with the subject line “Intent to Bid on RFP #7139-20(__Carrier Name __)” to email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org. Materials will be sent back to you by Nick Price at Aon.
If you decide not to compete for the business after reviewing the materials, please submit a letter stating the reasons for your decision as soon as possible, but no later than by the final due date.
Vendor Content Inquiries
Vendor inquiries on the content of the RFP are due by 2:00 PM MDT on April 13, 2020. Inquiries should include “# 7139-20” in the subject line. Please respond in writing via email to email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org. All vendor questions and responses will be assembled into a single document and released to all participating vendors by 4:30 PM MDT on April 20, 2020. Questions should be specific and detailed in order to provide complete responses to all RFP sections. All questions will remain anonymous so that no organization will be identified as asking a particular question.
- To be considered a qualified candidate, your response to this RFP must:
- Include a cover letter clearly spelling out deviations from requested services. Please note that plan designs, all benefit provisions, and policy particulars must be replicated to match the plan coverages and procedures. Unless indicated otherwise, your proposal will be interpreted as a duplication of the plan benefits, procedures, and policies as set forth in this RFP;
- Respond clearly and concisely to all the financial sections of the RFP;
- Comply with all workbook specifications or clearly indicate where and why your proposal deviates;
- Respond clearly and concisely to all questions in the questionnaire section without referring us to preprinted materials as your response;
- Be received electronically by Boulder County Purchasing & Aon no later than 2:00 PM MDT on April 27, 2020. Bids must be submitted via secure email link to email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org. See below for email submission size limits. The subject line of your submission should read “RFP# 7139-20 Bid Submission by ___(Carrier Name)___”.