Specifications include, but are not limited to: • The contractor must completely finish one unit/polygon prior to moving to another unit.
• Leave trees will be selected on an average spacing of 14 feet (222 trees per acre).
• Spacing may be varied as much as 50% in either direction to allow for the selection trees with desirable characteristics.
• Selected leave trees will preferably be phenotypically superior trees that are single and straight stemmed, having crown
ratios greater than 50% and free from any other disease or defect – including forked tops, mechanical damage, crook or
sweep, mistletoe, or rust brooms.
• The following species preference order will be followed when selecting leave trees: 1. Limber pine (rare across the
project area) 2. Lodgepole pine 3. Douglas-fir 4. Engelmann spruce 5. Aspen 6. Subalpine fir.
• Release trees will include only trees as described above that are between 1 foot tall and 8 inches DBH.
• Cut trees shall include all trees/species from 1 foot tall to 7 inches DBH (Diameter at Breast Height).
• Trees less than 1 feet tall shall not be considered in spacing requirements.
• Trees greater than 8 inches DBH will be ignored in the spacing, except that no leave trees will be selected that are under
the drip line of a tree greater than 8 inches DBH.