• The contractor may choose to either masticate or cut and pile the thinned trees and must completely finish one unit/polygon
prior to moving to another unit.
• Leave trees will be selected on an average spacing of 14 feet (222 trees per acre). Spacing may be varied as much as 50% in
either direction to allow for the selection trees with desirable characteristics.
• Selected leave trees will preferably be phenotypically superior trees that are single and straight stemmed, having crown ratios
greater than 50% and free from any other disease or defect – including forked tops, mechanical damage, crook or sweep,
mistletoe, or rust brooms.
• The following species preference order will be followed when selecting leave trees: 1. Limber pine (rare across the project
area) 2. Lodgepole pine 3. Douglas-fir 4. Engelmann spruce 5. Aspen 6. Subalpine fir
• Release trees will include only trees as described above that are between 1 foot tall and 8 inches DBH.
• Cut trees shall include all trees/species from 1 foot tall to 7 inches DBH (Diameter at Breast Height).