Specifications include, but are not limited to: Filter paper Matrix Specifications – before printing
1. Filter paper shall be a recent lot of S&S 903 or equivalent 100% pure cotton fiber,
filter paper with no wet-strength additives or equivalent. Lot number to be printed
on the filter paper attachment of page 3.
2. Basis weight should be 110 lb. +/- 5% per read (550 sheets 24 x 35 inches).
3. Densitometer reading by Gurley method on one sheet with a 5 oz. Cylinder, 0.1
sq. orifice and 100 cc of air (Test method, modified ASTM D7266-58).
4. pH should be 5.7 to 7.5
5. Ash% 0.2 maximum (Test method, modified ASTM D726-63)
6. Kelmn: Tappi modified useful method – UM451
7. Wet strength (ASTM D-774-67), usually around 4/5 lbs./inch sq.
8. Absorption rate: The absorption time and the diameter of blood spot produced by
100 uL. Of a fresh whole blood sample (hematocrit 55 +/- 1%). Absortion time
target: 12 seconds; range 5-30 seconds. Diameter target: 16mm; range 15-17 mm
volume. Ragged edges or mottling or dried blood spot should not be observed. 1/8
inch punch of the dried blood spot should equate to a blood volume of 1.54 +/-
9. Lithographic printing is not an acceptable printing process for the filter paper. A
dedicated ink delivery system used only for filter paper printing is recommended.
1. Printing ink must not interfere in analytical test procedures. Data must be
available, if requested to validate the compatibility of the ink for the following
tests: Phenylalanine, Amino Acid disorders, Galactose, Galactose 1- phosphate
Uridyl Transferase, Thyroxine, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, Cystic Fibrosis,
Congenital Hyperplasia, Medium Chain Acyl CoA Dehydrogenase, Fatty Acid
oxidation disorders, Organic Acid disorders, SCID and others.
2. Circles on the filter paper must be a thin black broken line and must be same
dimensions as shown on the attached sample (0.5 inches or 13 mm in diameter)
3. Page 1. Print using green ink with white headings and green check boxes and all
other printing in black ink. See example.
4. Page 2. Print on yellow paper with green ink with white headings and green check
boxes and all other printing in black ink. Use red ink for wording on CHART
COPY. See example.
5. Print serial numbers on filter paper in black ink.
6. Page 5 Collecting specimens. Use red ink for expiration date on filter paper.
Drawings outlined in black ink with foot having green ink showing the area for
collection in green and red no designation for where not to draw sample. Use red
ink in correct /acceptable circle as well as wrong/unacceptable circles as shown
on example. Use red tear drop in circle marked with one drop, one circle, one
7. Page 6 front and back print use red ink to print first lines of text. See example. All
other printing in black ink.
1. Forms shall be packaged in protective loose wrap in bundles of approximately
100 in numerical order.
NOTE: Shrink wrap or use of heat in packaging is not acceptable and will affect
the absorption capacity of the filter paper.
2. Bundles shall be boxed in number order with bundles (forms) flat and not shipped
on their side.
3. Boxes shall be number on the exterior with the serial number sequence.