Specifications include, but are not limited to: Task 1: Literature Review
Under this task, the successful responder will conduct a literature review of in-progress and completed research that describes the
use and effectiveness of brine and brine blends for anti-icing and DLA.
Task 2: Survey of Practice
Under this task, the successful responder will conduct an online survey of Clear Roads states and local agencies to gather
information on the use of brine and brine blends. Survey questions will be approved by the Clear Roads project subcommittee prior
to survey deployment. The survey should address the following topics:
1. Summary of brine and brine blends currently used for anti-icing and DLA.
2. Materials and application rates used for particular weather conditions, road conditions and road types.
3. Best practices, challenges, and lessons learned regarding the application of brine and brine blends (with a focus on application
rates, use in specific weather conditions, and other specific information relevant to this project).
4. Any field test results that have been gathered and how the tests were performed.
5. Performance measures used to assess effectiveness of DLA and anti-icing.
6. Interest in serving as a test site for this project.
7. Availability of instrumentation to capture the metrics that will be used in field testing.
8. Other topics as appropriate.
Draft survey questions should be provided to the Clear Roads project subcommittee for review and approval prior to deploying the
survey. Once the survey is complete, raw survey results should be provided to the subcommittee as an interim deliverable.
Identify Brine Blends and States for Field Testing
The successful responder will use the survey results to identify which brine blends are commonly used by the states and identify
candidate states to participate in field testing. Five to seven states should participate in testing, with the selected states providing a
range of winter weather, road types (rural vs. urban, etc.), and other factors.
Proposed brine blends and test sites will be reviewed and approved by the Clear Roads project committee before Task 3 begins.